All pictures are under artificial light
Essie Marshmallow and Zoya Raven
Let me start off by saying that I think this might be one of my all-time favorite manicures! Not only do I think it looks really cool and edgy, it was also really simple to create. I first saw this manicure through a Refinery29.com link about runway manicures. This was the look that the models in the Wayne Spring 2012 runway show rocked. It was done by CND and was called “Black Swan Graffiti Nails”. I instantly fell in love with this look and saved it on my “Nail Ideas” board on Pinterest. Since this was a runway look, it was my obvious choice for Day 4 of the Girly-Girl Challenge: Inspired by the Runway.
I started with a base color of Essie’s Marshmallow. This polish is very thin and streaky – even with 3 coats I still didn’t have full coverage (contrary to what I predicted in my last post). But I still really like this white because its so soft looking, and its totally different from my other white polish, OPI’s Alpine Snow – which is much more opaque and hard looking. I then used Zoya’s Raven to add the black “graffiti” tips. Raven is very opaque so I had no problems with it and didn’t have to go over the strokes more than once. I used one of my fan nail art brushes and a small square tipped brush and just made random small brush strokes. I didn’t want too much polish on the brushes, that way some of the strokes would look light and feathery. And as always, I sealed everything in with a layer of top coat. I was a little skeptical on my ability to recreate this look, but it looks a lot more more complicated than it is, and I am super happy with the final product!
I loved this manicure so much, that I was really sad when I had to take it off after two days in order to do my St. Patrick’s Day manicure :/ So I think I will have to use this graffiti technique with some other colors so I can wear something similar in the future (but I don’t know if anything can live up to the black and white combination…)
- CND Stickey Base Coat ~ average $5.00
- Essie Marshmallow ~ average $5.00
- Zoya Raven ~ average $8.00
- Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat ~ average $4.50
- **Prices based on current Amazon prices unless otherwise noted
- Lindsey of Neverland Nail Blog
- Ashley of Follow The Yellow Polish Road
- Stephanie of A Little Polish
- Kelly of Devilish Polish
- Jodi of Captivating Claws
- Danielle of Polish. Glitter. Rock & Roll!
- Elly of Polishable
- Olivia of Unprofessional Nails
- Kate of This Charming Kate
- Bethany of A Plethora of Nails
- Lizzy of The Do It Yourself Lady
- Eugenia of Talon-ted
- Johanna of Neues vom Kellerkind
- Amanda of Nox Nails
- Ashley of Smashley Sparkles
- Sarah of See Sarah Swatch
- Emily of The Lacquerologist
- Jess of LuvMyLacquer
- Tressa of O’ Natur Nail
- Robin, Erin, and Anna of Polished Cousins
- Bonny of Over Stuffed
- Taylor of REJOICE!
- Jess of Nearly Natural Nails
Thanks for reading, I post every Sunday and usually on Wednesdays. And please don’t forget to “like” my Facebook page www.facebook.com/BerryPolished for extra news! I also have a “nail ideas” board on Pinterest.com under the user name “berrybear”.
~ A. Berry